Location

Alexanderplatz is one of Berlin’s top addresses and has long been a key transport hub and centre of sophistication in the east of the city. The Haus des Lehrers is located on the eastern edge of Alexanderplatz, directly next to the Berlin Congress Center (bcc). Across 12 floors, it provides numerous companies with modern office space and incredible views.

location

HOW TO GET HERE

Superb transport links

Because it’s located on Alexanderplatz itself, it couldn’t be easier to get to the Haus des Lehrers, no matter how you’re travelling. That’s ideal for you, your clients and your employees. 

By public transport

Der Alexanderplatz ist Regionalbahnhof, S- und U-Bahnhof und ein zentraler Haltepunkt verschiedener Busse und Tramlinien. Von hier aus wenden Sie sich Richtung Fernsehturm. Nur wenige Meter entfernt befindet sich das Haus des Lehrers.

You can get here ...

By regional train

RE1, RE2, RE4, RE5, RE7, RE14

By S-Bahn/U-Bahn

Station S+U Alexanderplatz

S3 Erkner ↔ Westkreuz
S5 Strausberg Nord ↔ Olympiastadion
S7 Ahrensfelde ↔ Potsdam HbF
S9 Flughafen Berlin-Schönefeld DB  ↔ Blankenburg
S75 Wartenberg ↔ Spandau DB

U2 Pankow ↔ Ruhleben
U5 Hönow ↔ Alexanderplatz
U8 Wittenau ↔ Hermannstraße

By tram (MetroTram)

Station S+U Alexanderplatz

M2 Heinersdorf  S Hackescher Markt
M4 S Hackescher Markt  Hohenschönhausen, Zingster Str.
M5 Hohenschönhausen, Zingster Straße  S Hackescher Markt
M6 Hellersdorf, Riesaer Straße  U Schwartzkopffstraße

By bus

By bus

TXL Flughafen Tegel  S+U Alexanderplatz 
100 S+U Zoologischer Garten DB ↔ S+U Alexanderplatz
200 S+U Zoologischer Garten Bhf  PrenzlauerBerg,
148 Zehlendorf, Busseallee  S+U Alexanderplatz Bhf 

N5 S+U Zoologischer Garten Bhf  U Alexanderplatz Bhf
N8 U Alt-Tegel  U Paracelsus-Bad (U Hermannplatz)

Parking at the Haus des Lehrers

24 car parking spaces are available for leaseholders right next to the Haus des Lehrers. Access is via Jakobystraße. Additional parking spaces can be leased in the nearby car park at Grunerstraße 5 and 7.

Prestigious neighbours

The surrounding area is often crucially important for companies. In the immediate vicinity of the Haus des Lehrers, you can find the following institutions (among others):

  • Berlin Senate (state government) in the Rotes Rathaus
  • Bezirksamt (district authority) in Rathaus Berlin Mitte
  • Berlin Senate Department for Education, Youth and Science
  • Berlin Senate Department for Urban Development and the Environment
  • Federal Statistical Office (Berlin branch)
  • Land- und Amtsgericht Mitte (Mitte district and local court)
  • The embassies of China, Australia, Brazil, Angola, the Netherlands and more
  • Federal Foreign Office
ALEXANDERPLATZ AND THE SURROUNDING AREA

FROM COSMOPOLITAN PLAZA TO THE NEW HEART OF THE EAST

Alongside Kurfürstendamm, Tauentzienstraße and Friedrichstraße, Alexanderplatz is now one of Berlin’s most popular shopping districts. Thanks to its popularity and top location, it has always been of particular interest to Berlin’s urban planners.

A mirror of the city’s history

Alexanderplatz was named after a visit by Tsar Alexander in 1805. During the century that followed, Alex – as it is known to locals – became the much-admired heart of east Berlin and the embodiment of the city’s vibrant, cosmopolitan spirit. At the end of the 1920s, comprehensive reconstruction began – but was never completed. Martin Wagner, who at the time was head of municipal planning, wanted to transform Alexanderplatz into a commercial hub for east Berlin to rival Kurfürstendamm in the west: a plaza with cosmopolitan flair.

During World War II, Alexanderplatz was almost completely destroyed. Work on a new layout began in 1966. Prior to this, between 1961 and 1964 the Haus des Lehrers and the Berlin congress centre were built on the eastern edge of the plaza. The plan was that Alexanderplatz would now become East Berlin’s social and commercial centre as well as the heart of fine dining in the city.

Accordingly, the roundabout built in 1928 was removed, the trams disappeared completely and traffic was routed past (or even under) the plaza on widened main roads. The plaza was now exclusively a pedestrian zone. Between 1967 and 1971, towering buildings sprouted up around Alexanderplatz. The famous TV Tower also dates from this period – it was completed in 1969. At a height of 368 metres, it is still Germany’s tallest building to this day.

The new Alexanderplatz

With around 300,000 visitors every day, Alexanderplatz is now once again a central hotspot in reunified Berlin. After Kurfürstendamm, Alexanderplatz is the city’s most important shopping district. The famous plaza ranks high up on visitors’ and tourists’ lists of sightseeing attractions.

In the coming years, the plaza is set to become significantly more important as a location and transport hub. Since reunification, a veritable construction boom has taken place. Moreover, thanks to its well-connected location, Alexanderplatz is attracting an increasing number of investors. A dynamic commercial hub, a popular shopping district and a social hotspot – Alexanderplatz is a perfect location for homes, lifestyle and business.

QUINTESSENTIAL ALEXANDERPLATZ – LISTED BUILDINGS AND MEETING PLACES

Das Berolinahaus am Alexanderplatz. Im Vordergrund fährt die Trambahn.
© WBM Archiv

Berolinahaus and Alexanderhaus

Berolinahaus and Alexanderhaus were built between 1929 and 1932 in accordance with the plans of the architect Peter Behrens. The buildings, which are now protected heritage properties, were built using a modern concrete shell construction. The ground floors of both buildings were designed to provide retail space, while the first floors featured a glass gallery for restaurants. The remaining six floors were designed as office space.

In World War II, the buildings were badly damaged, but were rebuilt in their original form by 1952. Alexanderhaus was restored between 1993 and 1995, while Berolinahaus was restored between 2005 and 2006. Since September 2006, C&A has operated a retail branch across four floors of Berolinahaus. This represents a return to the traditional company’s roots – the first C&A department store was opened on Alexanderplatz in 1911. Berolinahaus now looks exactly as it did when it was opened in 1932.

World Time Clock

The World Time Clock, designed by Erich John, has stood at the corner of Alexanderhaus since 1969. The ten-metre-high steel structure, which displays the time in the world’s major capitals, enjoys an enduring reputation as an unmissable meeting place. It was lavishly refurbished in autumn 1997: 20 new cities were added, and some cities were even moved around because they had previously been allocated to the wrong time zones.

Its design is extremely striking: a 2.7-metre column with a diameter of 1.5 metres rises from a stone mosaic in the form of a compass rose. Attached to the column is a cylinder with 24 sides. Each of these 24 sides represents one of the earth’s time zones. There is another cylinder inside which rotates so as to display the time in each time zone. An abstract model of the solar system rotates on top of the clock.

Menschen am Brunnen der Völkerfreundschaft auf dem Alexanderplatz.
© WBM Archiv

Fountain of International Friendship

Since 1969, Walter Womacka’s Fountain of International Friendship has also stood in front of the department store. It is popularly known as the Nuttenbrosche (“harlot’s brooch”) by East Berliners. This is probably due to its shape – water cascades from 17 shallow bowls that rise in a tiered spiral formation from a circular basin with a diameter of 25 metres.

The fountain is made of materials including glass, ceramic, enamel and copper. The outer basin surrounds an elevated inner basin in which 17 elevated copper bowls have been installed in a tiered formation. The water flows down from the top via the bowls into the inner basin and then the outer one.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
The RathausPassagen at Alexanderplatz
Eien Frau mit Einkauftüten in der Hand steht lachend vor den Rathauspassagen.
Shopping at the base of the TV Tower.  

A shopping trip to remember – located just a few steps away from Alexanderplatz station in the heart of Berlin, the RathausPassagen offer the ultimate retail experience, with countless boutiques, stores and places to eat. Check it out!

Available space in Berlin Carré
Eine computergenerierte Ansicht des gepanten Berlin Carrees mit Kaufhäusern.
The new Berlin Carré  

With 7,600 m2 of retail space in the direct vicinity of Alexanderplatz, the Berlin Carré shopping centre offers an ideal location for commercial leases. Following a comprehensive renovation, attractive retail and business premises will be available from 2016. Find out more today!

Looking for business premises?
Ein Mann plant die Einrichtung einer leeren Bürofläche
Available office space  

Whether it’s for a retail store, a bar/restaurant or office space – if you’re looking for business premises in Berlin, WBM is the perfect port of call. Get in touch and arrange to visit our attractive properties in Alexanderplatz, Mitte and throughout Berlin.