The teachers’ association building was built in 1908. The elaborate Art Nouveau structure, designed by Hans Toebelmann and Henry Groß, served as a communication centre for teachers. The building was commissioned by the Berlin Teachers’ Association, which at that time had grown to over 3,000 members. It comprised three buildings, separated by courtyards, with a total area of 3,195 m2. The ground floor contained restaurants, a cafe and a bakery. The 1,180 m² meeting centre was located in the middle of the complex. The largest hall had a capacity of 1,700, while the small ceremonial hall had a capacity of 700.
In 1910, the education library was transferred to the teachers’ association building. The association offered a reform-focused educational programme whose influence spread beyond the imperial capital (as it was then). The memorial ceremony for Karl Liebknecht and Rosa Luxemburg took place here in February 1919. In 1933, the Berlin Teachers’ Association was absorbed into the National Socialist Teachers’ League.